Space Marines Sternguard Squad
The Sternguard are members of the 1st Company of a Chapter of Space Marines. Their primary mission is to cover a combative retreat by the remaining Space Marine forces, using their superior training and ranged weapons to keep the enemy at bay.
While every member of a Chapter's 1st Company is proficient in all types of weapons, veteran Sternguards prefer long-range to close-range combat. Though occasionally armed with heavier weapons such as laser cannons or heavy flamethrowers, Sternguard veterans prefer to use their boltguns, carefully modified with upgraded scopes and special ammunition.
Sternguard Squads are deployed wherever the battleline is fiercest, taking on the most unlikely odds with icy calm and precise bolter fire. They are the epitome of what every Space Marine aspires to be, and the pinnacle of every Chapter's combat force. Although there is a friendly rivalry with their counterparts, the Vanguard Veterans, such competition does not get in the way of their bonds in battle, and each will fight to the death for the other.
All Sternguard Veterans are equipped with additional types of special ammunition for use in combat. In addition to the standard bolter ammo, they have access to:
- Dragonfire Bolts: These hollow grenades explode with superheated gas, allowing them to easily bypass cover.
- Hellfire Missiles: They replaced the bolt's explosive charge with needles made of mutagenic acid and were originally developed to fight Tyranids
- Kraken Pattern Penetrator Rounds: Modified with an adamant core and more propellant, Kraken Bolts have longer range and better armor penetration.
- Metal Storm Shells: Able to wreak havoc against unarmored enemies.
- Tempest Bolts: These shells contain tiny plasma shock generators that emit electromagnetic and thermal radiation when the grenade detonates. Assault grenades, which are only crafted on the Forgeworld of Mars, are said to be particularly effective against machines and other mechanical targets.
- Revenge Rounds: Use unstable flux core technology, making them dangerous to use but superior in penetrating power armor. These were originally designed to combat Traitor Marines.
The Space Marine range is designed so that all plastic parts are interchangeable between different kits. If you would like your Sternguard Veteran Squad to include alternate heads then grab them from another Space Marine plastic kit and they will fit. This offers the opportunity for truly unique collections of miniatures.
This plastic kit contains 120 components with which to make one 5 man Veteran Space Marine Sternguard Squad (and lots more!).
This kit is supplied unpainted and requires assembly - we recommend using Citadel Plastic Glue and Citadel Paints.